Monday, November 08, 2004

Adam the assistant.

Yesterday I was a wedding photographers assistant.

It was a long, long day of exchanging lenses and carrying stuff but it was great and I learnt a few things. It was a freebie effort and so giving up 9 hours on a Sunday was a bit harsh, but I did it because I'm going to be taking photos at Jen and Rob's wedding and give them the photos as our wedding present. I got a little bit nervous when I kept seeing examples of wedding photos that were brilliant and leagues beyond anything that I have produced.

So I went along and carried this guys stuff. He was amazingly unorganised and forgot things and was late and got lost and missed key moments, but the photos he did produce were great and had absolutely no problems bossing everyone around to get those awesome shots. I did learn a few things, but not quite the technical details that I was after. Do'h! Totally hard work for that time, but I loved being let in to these complete strangers lives. We saw both families in their homes and interacting with each other. The groom was way Aussie where the bride was Macedonian so the comparison was very different. It was great. If I was to undertake it as a venture I would need more equipment and expertise, but I think these guys get paid pretty well for the days work. I was never interested in it before, but I do love being let in and being able to share in the special day. The only thing I have to figure out is do the photographers even see the specialness or are they all consumed with getting the shot?


<....Jen & Rob description..... Young Jennifer is a very chirpy girl that I met in Wellington, New Zealand when I was working there for 5 weeks. I went to a dancing class to entertain myself and she heard there was a young lad there who was from Melbourne, the city she was going to be studying in a few months. So we hung out and became great friends. She moved Melbourne and I helped a little bit to get set up and introduced her to a stack of my friends. I didn't really get to put in as much effort as I wanted which was a shame, but she was able to entertain herself. She met Rob about 3 weeks after arriving here and now they are getting married. Very sweet!...>

1 Comments:

At 7:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home