Tuesday, January 30, 2007

While the guy sobbed, our friend was robbed (ps, he didn't really sob)

Hey kids,
Thanks for all your way awesome comments in the post below. Instead of responding in the comments section, I might write a whole new post on my thoughts but I'll do that later.

I watched TV last night, I didn't really want to, but I got an sms telling me too.

We had a mate on the new game show One vs One hundred.
The premise is that one person and a group of a hundred people answer questions. The hundred people have 6 seconds and if they get a question wrong they are out of the game. Each question eliminates more and more people and for each person eliminated, the one person gets money added to their total winnings. The one person has heaps of freakin' time to answer and has a couple of lifelines but if they get one question wrong the money goes to those in the hundred that have not been eliminated. The contestant gets to decide after each question whether they are taking the money and running or answering another question with the possibility of losing out completely. If the whole 100 people get eliminated, the contestant takes home a cool million dollars.

It was a bit retarded, the questions weren't interesting, the talking the answer through thing is totally painful, Eddie just isn't likeable and the contestant last night was a bit of a doof. Our friend told us some inside goss when we went rollerblading with them on Saturday.

Last night, the contestant had answered quite a few questions correctly and the One hundred had been whittled down to 18, our friend had done awesomely and was in that 18. Struggling to eliminate the stragglers, the contestant decided to take the money, a nice 132 thou, and scoot.

What our friend told us on Saturday, over a lemonade icy pole, is that the contestant got the last question wrong and lost all the money. The One Hundred won and the prize money was to be divided between the remaining 18. Eddie, however, stopped the taping and asked the contestant to choose A instead of B. the contestant won, the sob story retold and everyone is happy. Everyone, obviously, except the One Hundred, the studio audience, me, you and the law.

12 Comments:

At 4:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

this should TOTALLY be leaked to the press...!

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger Aussie Rock Chick said...

I tried to watch it, I really did! I only got as far as 97 people left before I had to switch it off. Just can't stomach Eddie.

I did watch The Rich List though, - heaps better! Kind of a cross between Deal or No Deal and Family Feud. Happiness!! One question was "name all the squares on a Monopoly board"... you should have heard me screaming them out!!

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger Amanda said...

Media watch, anybody?

I got sucked in. But the hideously easy questions were eating my soul at a rapid rate.

 
At 8:05 PM, Blogger Jac said...

What the hell? How can such a thing happen??! Wont the 100 or more people who were in the room at the time have a problem with this?!?!? Or do the 100 still get paid?!

This so doesn't make sense to me!

 
At 8:30 PM, Blogger kiki said...

i hate eddy. he's a machine. like bindi irwin

 
At 9:05 PM, Blogger meva said...

I didn't watch it. And now I know I won't. I couldn't even stomach the Rich List. It's all so manufactured.

Give me the Einstein Factor any day.

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger BEVIS said...

Dude, leave the TV posts to me.

JUST KIDDING! You can totally do TV posts (when you keep it to game shows).

Hehe.

I already love The Rich List and could take or leave 1 vs 100.

I sat there watching The Rich List the other night and was nearly salivating, imagining what it'd be like if I was on the show and asked to list Muppets!

I told Wifey I could come up with 50, and then grabbed a pen and paper to be sure. I didn't look at any Muppet-related stuff to prompt me - I did it all from memory - and in the space of about three minutes I came up with 63 main Muppets (not one-offs or characters from other shows like Sesame Street, Fraggle Rock, etc ... even though they'd probably be accepted if I did because they're all referred to as 'Muppets').

I'd rock at that. The 'Tom Cruise films' one from last night was another winner. I'm a film buff so I was calling out hundreds of them!

You know Joel and Michael - the guys on the show who are the current champs? Wifey went to high school with Joel and remembers him as a fat ugly kid who was an awkward nerd with no friends. We're cheering him on because we both identify with the dorky-kid-made-good thing. We're delighted for him that he's named so many US and Olympic cities and earned himself $200,000 (and growing?).

Aren't I great for knowing someone who knows Joel? If you knew me, I'd let you touch my hand.

Briefly.

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger kiki said...

oh bevis man, get out more

 
At 12:14 AM, Blogger BEVIS said...

No.

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger BEVIS said...

Oh my goodness! I didn't see the ad for this week's Rich List until the weekend. When I left the above comment I was HYPOTHESISING about the 'Muppet' question ... then two days later I saw the ad and THAT'S ACTUALLY WHAT THEY'RE BEING ASKED ON TONIGHT'S SHOW!

*faints*

*gets up again*


You possibly all thought that's why I brought it up, but it wasn't. It was just an amazing coincidence that had me marvelling at the TV for hours. Even after I'd turned it off.

I just had to come back here to share / clarify / talk to myself.

 
At 8:13 PM, Blogger Adam said...

WHOA!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger BEVIS said...

I *KNOW*!!

Like, totally!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home