Monday, October 09, 2006

Friends via that internet thing.

So, on Saturday, I like, totally met someone from the internet.

I should clarify, the internet isn't actually a place, it's more a communication device where a whole heap of computers are linked up together, so when I say 'met someone from the internet' I mean that I met someone I had never met before.

Anywho, a few weeks ago I actually put a Ad on a website called Brisbane Exchange that basically said "hi, will you be my friend? I'm pretty fun and have a girlfriend and travel heaps but sometimes am bored in Brisbane". Then I sat by my computer and waiting for the avalanche of responses.

And sat.

And heard cichadas.

And saw some tumbleweeds.

And then I forgot.

So when I got an e-mail thing going 'you've got mail' it took me ages to figure out what was going on. Luckily, being awesomely supersmart I managed to get a clue. It was a girl that lived in Brisbane but had just come out of a four year relationship and didn't really know many people outside of that circle. I can understand that. So we kinda e-mailed back and forth for a bit seeing if we had any common interests and so forth. It took a couple of weeks to come up with a time that would suit us both, but we got there. Her e-mails the whole way through were funny, sometimes totally random, but very entertaining and towards the end they were almost too funny, like she was putting in too much effort... my stalkersense was tingling. Back in the days when I was a much lovelier person I got stalked by a totaly of four girls in as many years, like showing up at my house, e-mailing my friends, calling all hours sort of stalked, so my sense for these things is fairly finely tuned.

So anyway, I was still up for it and would just use my special stalker defuse sentences if required.

I got there first because it would be safer for a young lady to decide whether or not to approach a young man than vise versa, if she got nervous she could just keep walking.

I've never done anything like this before and I picked up straight away which one was her, she looked lost confused and made more eye contact than most. I wasn't sure if I'd be unco or nervous but I went straight into gentlemanly host mode and it was all good.

We were pretty comfortable straight away, I'm a good talker and she's a good talker and it was all good, she's really nice. Probably not as massively exciting as maybe I was hoping, but still very pleasant, very sensible and we do have a fair bit in common. Pretty much I think anyone can be friends with anyone as long as both parties totally want to be friends.

I think she'll be a good person to have hot chocolate with and see movies with and stuff. I'm a bit excited to have a friend. Now, all I need is someone who wants to go to gigs with, I'm looking into volunteering for Brisbane Community radio station 4ZZZ to entertain myself and meet peeps.

Meeting people over the internet was so out of my comfort zone, I usually decide if I like someone based purely on spark, and the internet doesn't really show spark as much, but it worked out well, she's someone I would have got along quite well with in any other social setting. Whooo!

14 Comments:

At 1:41 PM, Blogger Kris said...

Congrats on finding someone who is non-stalkerish. I hope it works out..if not fly out to Ohio and we can have some good times out here.

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger Adam said...

Cool thanks okay.

Are Friday nights good for you?

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger Deb said...

Wow! You ARE brave!!

And how considerate of you that you got there first- what a sweetheart!

I was thinking about doing a similar thing, coz after all the messiness with my ex I chose to disassociate myself with that mob he hung around with, and being the pathetic little mouse I was, I didn't have any friends of my own. ANYHOO, to cut a long story short, I was too chicken and its taken me years to make new friends (and still none who are real close) so hats off to you for taking the plunge and making new pals via the net. Very cool stuff.

Now - to the most important question of all - Did you salsa on friday night? ;)

 
At 5:19 PM, Blogger Adam said...

No. No I didn't.

BUT! I am definitely going to be salsaing up a storm this coming Friday and I'm also going tonight in South Brisbane.

So, young Deb, would it be outlandish to ask if your bloggerfriends are becoming closer to you than you actual friends?

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger Mars said...

Interesting post Ads-man (even the Australian Index thinks so- you're number 2!! you were number 1 earlier today, but the Nth Korea talk has pipped you)

And i will say that you're doing much better than me. Recently Dot and i met kiki (from the internet) and i thought i was cool with it, and then at the last minute TOTALLY chickened out and didn't end up telling him who i was, and rather was introduced as Dot's friend.

Swears, the whole incident rocked the very fibre of my SOUL. i thought i was pretty comfortable in myself and what-not at the ripe old age of 25... though it appears not, and it's really made my question myself over quite a few issues.

Kiki, of course now knows i was a chicken, and was suprisingly really cool about it in spite of my profuse apologies.. and i'm not sure i would have been the same at all.

So 10 points to you for going through with it... half points to me to owning up to my failings and trying to work on them, i suppose..?

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger Jen said...

I love how you described the internet, when I think about it there are so many people like Deb, and Jac (who I go to uni with, essentially!) and Lulu who I have probably crossed paths with before but would not have MET without the internet.

It's very nice you've met someone to be Brisbane friends with, I would never even think of advertising for friends, but it's not a bad idea when you think about it.

P.S I have been looking for a gig friend for a long time, but I am yet to meet someone who has a similarly awesome taste in music like me.

I am also desperately searching for a live comedy friend, I love stand up possibly more than life itself but have only seen a small number of actual shows due to lack of willing show go-ers :(

 
At 11:12 PM, Blogger Deb said...

Ohhohh Jen! Pick me!!! Pick me!!

I LOOOVVVVEEEEE live comedy!! But I havent yet found a live comedy friend either, and rather than going by myself since i am too chicken shit, i just dont go at all!

And Adam, far from being outlandish, you are quite correct in saying that my blog pals are closer than my 'real life' ones. Actually, I kinda cringe to think just how much I have shared with blog pals!

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger Jessie B said...

Yeah, I get what you mean about being friends if both parties are interested only in being friends. It could get awkward otherwise. I know people who insist that it is impossible for straight men/women to be friends with each other for very long. In my experience, I can only be true friends with a guy if I know there is no interest on either side. Sticky though, you never know.

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger Adam said...

Little tuckered out Mars,

That might be the cutest story you've ever told.

Keeks seems like a pretty good person to meet first up, but I do understand your nervousness. Meeting someone off the internet was nervous for me, but if it didn't work or whatever, I could just walk away. Meeting kiki would have been much, much, much harder for you because you'd already like him and if it didn't go down good it might affect your blogfunness. It should be heaps easier the second time, especially if he's removing a gross bird.

Deb & Jen, live comedy fans unite. I'm also a big comedy freak. If you kids ever make it to Melbourne in April, I demand that you let me take you to comedy festival funness, I've seen so many awesome shows. Similarly, if I find a gig I think you kids might like I'll invite you both, Deb can take photos, we'll protect her...

Jessie, I think that males and females can definitely be very good friends, but you're right, only if they know nothing will happen in moments of drunken craziness. All my best friends were girls, but it would be far tenser if I was a single lad. This is a terrible, terrible story, but once when I was younger I kept going out with a girl that I was a bit over because my friendship with my close female single friends was so good I didn't want to ruin it.
The girlfriend got a bit crazy though, I probably wouldn't do that again.

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger Mars said...

Oh Adam, don't appeal to my weakness by calling me cute, i have no resistance. I always wanted to be the cute girl that people picked up and threw over their shoulder, with the cute hair and the tiny feet. But alas, sadly that fantasy has never really come to fruition. Even as a child, i don't think i was ever cute. I was always the tallest and loudest - rarely qualities to make a person cute... so by you saying i wrote something cute, is as good as you calling me cute... and therefore as good as us being married for 25 years with several good looking (not to mention, cute) children.

Le sigh.

More on topic though, you are right about the expectations i felt like kiki might have when we met (don't worry about my expectations! i was drunk.. let's be honest, i had none)... what if i came across as uber-cool, suave and sophistocated on the internet (don't deny it), and then in real life he thought i sucked?

Ironically, i think we would have had more to say to each other if i'd just fessed up to being MEEE instead of just Dot's loud friend who seemed to know WAY too much about blog-land without ever a) having her own blog or b) commenting anywhere.

Anyway, i've learned my lesson now.. so if you ever come to melbourne and we by chance arrange to meet - i'll come as me.

Either that, or i wont show up at all. It's a big city...

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger Adam said...

Young lady, cuteness does apply to little feet but it also applies to Mr Snuffleupicous. My cuteness call still stands no matter how loud you want to be.

I can't imagine you sucking in real life young lady, I reckon you'd be hella awes! I live in Melbourne you know, I rent a house, have a motorbike, all my friends are there, I just, you know, don't work there. We'll hang out one day, it might just be 2007. I may not be as handlebarry as keeks though.

 
At 8:10 AM, Blogger Mars said...

I rent a house, have a motorbike, all my friends are there

Ya know... if you're not using all those things...?

 
At 4:08 PM, Blogger Adam said...

and a girlfriend in melbourne too.

Maybe we can work out a package deal?

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger Mars said...

How much for the lot?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home