Monday, September 25, 2006

Adventures with the internet. Part 1 of 1.

I had the most subdued weekend humanly possible and so did some mucking around on that internet. It's a large collection of connected computers - you should take a look at it one day.
Anywho, I saw that thingamigy where the girl has taken one photo of herself everyday for the last four years, and I was like, how boring was that? I idea is brilliant, but I thought the girl could be more interesting, she didn't grow any facial hair in the whole four years, she never died her hair and although she did change glasses, she then changed back.

So, obviously, I was like, whoa! I could do a million times better than that (maybe a billion). I thought that her background was super boring also, and that it would be heaps more interesting if I could show the progression of the seasons also. I also thought I'd be heaps more interesting as I could grow and shrink depending on my enthusiasm hard cores and wanes, I might get a mega wicked scar, looking at my granddad and my mum's brothers I could go heaps bald anytime soon, I seem to move interstate all the time, I could wear a Christmas beanie, my years of eating all the food to feed my ridiculous metabolism could catch up to me - heaps interestinger!!

I got out my camera and snapped a shot of myself, hmmm, out of focus. I set it to auto everything and the shot was way brilliant - except the very top of my head was cut off.
I ended up taking a whole stack of shots of myself, every single one completely different, the lighting, where I'm standing in the frame, how close I am, how in focus I was, it's almost impossible to get a standard going.

Clearly, she had an internet camera and sat at her desk and sat in the exact same spot, but I don't know how excited I am about buying a another camera (I already have like 4) and chucking it in the least sunshiney room. So, um, to be continued..... maybe.

Actually, the point of that story is still to come. Watching that thing led me to youtube which while everyone else in the whole entire world has had a gander I haven't been so interested. I assumed it was all videos of dudes hurting themselves on skateboards.

Despite myself, I did have a bit of a click around and in my journeying found some girls online journal. It was pretty good, she had spent some time on it, and involved some teddy bears and stuff, it was cute. I click on another one where she was freaked out about being kissed. She was a bit over the top, but still pretty amusing. I kinda left it there, she seemed a bit young and it didn't seem like my place to be watching these. Goodbye lonelygirl15.

As I clicked around some more, her stuff were coming up all over the place so I clicked on her page and saw she linked her boyfriends videos. I click on one, and it was a dude just sulking and telling the girl off. I was like, whoa!, who is this guy, why didn't he just write an e-mail or
something, why isn't he even near a computer?

I didn't think more about it until I saw a title of a video called 'lonelygirl15 exposed' and it was a video of a collection of photos and her with friends and it had her real name. I was like all, whoa! bummer, one of her friends has just outted her, harsh!

So, it was all a bit odd so I googled her name and it turns out that the whole thing was a set up. Her videos had a team behind them and she was a 19 year old actress, and her boyfriend was an actor and it's this whole big thing that sucked the whole world in. There was all these articles about who was sucked in, who wasn't, were the comments fake, etc. People speculated that so many people viewed this girl's videos that millions could have been made of it, and how it worked because no one was expecting it.

The team who made the videos say it was a new form of art, but I still don't get why they bothered. Apparently the domain name lonelygirl15.com was bought before her videos started, so maybe it was just to get recognition for the series before asking people to pay? Maybe it was just for kicks.

The stupid thing is, that I'm sure I read about a very similar story in a fictional novel years ago....

It's not a bad idea though, making up a interactive website television show. Who wants in?

14 Comments:

At 11:51 PM, Blogger that girl said...

I totally just found out about lonelygirl a few weeks ago too! they had this big thing on yahoo.com about her and I too had to youtube and do some fact finding. The plot for the story is rather interesting as it alludes to the fact that her family are into the occult.

I would totally do something like that if I had any talent at all hahah.

 
At 7:10 AM, Blogger Deb said...

So like, what do we have to do?

I have to go check this lonelygirl thing out, coz this is the first that I've heard of it. Sounds interesting tho!

DUDE - you gotta talk to me about band/gig photography. I can't see myself doing it for a living, but I wanna give it a go for my folio (plus I have this belly dance concert in November to cover). The live action shots on your site are awesome! What's your secret!? ;)

Love the idea for the camera book. If I can help out in any way, lemme know!

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger Adam said...

Hey Deb,

I'm pretty sure you can't make much money out of band/gig photography until magazines are hitting you for U2 shots or something.

But, it's definitely fun and worthwhile; here are some tips for lowlight gig photography:


-Use the biggest ISO you possibly can. I use 1600 with f/1.8
-Take your shots at about 125th of a second. Any slower and your subject is a blur. Your shots will come out a bit dark, but it's easier to recover in photoshop/darkroom that a shot that's blurry.
-If people are in the way, just ask politely if you can stand in front for a moment. People are pretty good when you've got a camera but don't camp there.
-Get as close as you can.
-Try and get the singer away from the microphone, most bands 'rock out' at times.

Specifically for your bellydancing gig, I imagine the lighting will be much better and they won't move around the room as much, but their actions will be much quicker.

Watch them initially, with dancing there is 'moments' when they look awesome but a lot of times when they don't, usually they hit certain spots in the beat of the music - aim for those.

Since they have asked you specifically, don't be afraid to block onlookers out for a moment to get a good shot. The awesomeness of a good shot lasts a lot longer than someone getting slightly huffy.

If you're nervous, practice, go down to southbank about 7pm on a Friday night and take shots of the bellydancers there and the latin dancers, the light levels should be similar.

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger Adam said...

Oh, if you do want to practice with gigs, let me know and I'll take you to one.

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger Deb said...

sweet dude! Thanks for the tips. I think practicing at southbank is a top idea (one I would never have thought of myself) so ta muchly for that :)

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger Kris said...

I want to see nudity in this web-based television...of you of course.

 
At 5:40 PM, Blogger Cherry! said...

I'm with Kris. We'll play it at the convent.

 
At 5:40 PM, Blogger Cherry! said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger Jen said...

I am so into a website TV show (as long as the final product resembles nothing close to David Tench)!

I saw a guy on one of those morning shows who took his picture every day for a year or so, I also thought it was super boring, he never had a black eye, or colored hair, all that changed was his haircut and a little bit of facial hair. Maybe you could take a picture of yourself every day in some sort of costume or disguise!! That could be awesome!

P.S Deb, if you go to Southbank to watch the dancing, take me with you! I've always wanted to go and see what it's all about but I didn't want to look like a dork standing around by mself!

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger Deb said...

D'Jen - It's a date!

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger Adam said...

Hey hey hey, this blog is not an online dating service nor is it a think tank for seeing Adam nude.

You girls...

In other news (or the exact same news), Kris & Cherry! suggestion noted. Do understand that my appearance on webtv would ruin you all for other dudes for the rest of your lives. 'Sure he's perfect in every way, but he's still not Adam', etc.

Deb & D'Jen, there are heaps more people watching than actually dancing so you'll have to try harder to dork up.

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger HD said...

Hey Adam, i found your blog from Delightful Jen.

I wanted to say that your story about the first time you got drunk was very funny...i just wish you had kissed the sick girl! lol, classy.

I really like the way you write too, very entertaining.

A useless piece of information for you. My Husband's name is Adam. :)

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger Jessie B said...

I wanna play!!

 
At 7:59 PM, Blogger Alex said...

Im sure many deconstructionalist post modern things could be written about that girl, but i so cant be bothered.

Oh and Jen, ISO 1600 can be a bit noisy especially if its dark. If you have got Image Stabilisation or Antishake Use that and lower your ISO. Also bump the EV down on the camera as it will be trying to expose the photo as if it were daylight, as opposed to some moody stage lighting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home