Wednesday, February 14, 2007

How many nerds can a nerd nerd nerd if a nerd could nerd nerd nerd

Those who know me better than I know myself (ie, so many people) will have guessed that lately I've been thinking a lot about nerds.


In the olden days nerds were dudes who liked computers and hated sports and were no good with the ladies. Now, the term 'nerd' seems to have been expanded to any action that someone is overly enthusiastic or passionate about. 'Like, whoa, I love footy and chicks but I'm such a computer games nerd' or 'I totally did a triple back flip through a ring of fire on a bike, sexed some hoochies and read about science. I'm such a nerd.'

So I think anyone who isn't a total bogan has noticed they might have a nerdish tendency here or there, which makes me wonder if the whole term needs to be revisited. What if the dudes loved computers and hated sports and are crap with girls feel like they have no place in the world? No label to call their very own? This is probably the world's greatest current concern.. who can we turn to?

Anywho,
Do you have a favourite type of nerd?
Do you have a least favourite?

My least favourite nerd is dudes with beards and long hair in pony tails who place emphasis on too many words in their sentences and tend to use sound effects and hand movements in their jokes. My favourite nerds are TV nerds (Hi Bevis) who can tell you interesting tidbits that might be useful at Trivia nights but whom you can lock in a box if they start to share too much of their obsession. My sister is definitely one of these.

I'm getting more comfortable with music nerds. I didn't even use to know anything to even ask any questions about anything, but I'm picking up tidbits here and there so I've finally replaced my usual response of 'Gaaah.' with 'Oh Yeah, so what's that thingy for?'.

Writing nerds are pretty awes and computer game nerds aren't at all fun because they beat me in everything.

I've met a heap of footy nerds; dudes who can reel off player statistics and number of championships per team. I've met one dude who was a massive sports nerd, who could tell you every horse that won the Melbourne Cup or similar.
Could we call a player a chick nerd? Is that no good?
Is a fashionista a labels nerd? A fashion nerd? Is nerd purely the term we give something that doesn't have a cooler name, like movie buff, sports fan, fashionista, rock guru, etc?

I tried to read about nerds on Wikipedia but it got so boring that I was forced to go and stare out the window. Am I a windows nerd?

11 Comments:

At 3:23 PM, Blogger kiki said...

you're a tid-bit nerd!

you use 'tid-bit' more than anyone!!

i'm a classical history nerd
BIG TIME

 
At 4:03 PM, Blogger Adam said...

Whoa! Really? I didn't even know.

I learn something new about myself every post.

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger Jen said...

I prefer computer nerds the best. There is so many these days so as a rule they tend to be the most normal except they don't always dress so well but can always fix ones computer (excellent).

My least favourite would be the computer game nerds, they tend to be fairly hard to talk to and don't really understand that not everyone gets and/or enjoys games quite as much as them.

Nerds in general though, awesome. Nerds make the world go round.

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger gigglewick said...

Like delightfuljen, I prefer nerds who can have a conversation with people who aren't like-nerds. e.g. I am happy to have a long conversation with a classical history nerd if they can talk about it in a way that is interesting/not overly imbued with jargon.

My least favourite nerds are the ones who can't choose a topic and stick to it, instead thinking they know something about everything.

But perhaps they're not so much nerds as they are arrogant butt-monkeys.

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger Enny said...

I'm almost a celebrity gossip nerd - I remember the gist of the stories but NEVER get the details right.

I also like blogger nerds!

I can't think of any nerds I dislike at the moment....

 
At 5:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Call me old fashioned but I love the librarian nerd.

With black glasses, coy demeanor, always saying Sussh.....

It's heaven in a hair bun.

 
At 6:24 PM, Blogger kiki said...

GIGGLEWICK- i could hold a conversation with you easily. even though there are things i am geeky about, i don't push them onto other people, because i don't like that happening to me

having said this however, if i found you boring, i'd cease talks

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger gigglewick said...

Kiki,

Fair enough.

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger Kris said...

I hate know it all nerds..the ones who walk around like fucking encyclopedia and spout off random information whether you want to hear it or not.

I like the nerd on the sly...the ones who you think would be total fakes but turn out to be really deep instead...For instance the guy who looks like a jock, but instead is a nerd and loves Shakespeare.

 
At 12:06 AM, Blogger BEVIS said...

This whole post was just a 'filler' as you worked up to that final punchline, wasn't it.




I guess I'm a Muppet and TV nerd, but we all knew that already. I'm also an English language nerd. In fact, I think I'm just a nerd.

A hottt nerd, though.

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger Adam said...

Pffft, I'm way more awesome than that. I wouldn't write a whole post just as a vehicle for such a lame joke. I sat for ages staring out the window trying to decide what type I could admit to without massively incriminating myself...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home