Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Are you attractive and/or excellent?

Why hello there, I didn't see you come in.

You might remember us talking a little while ago about the order your born and how that may or may not help determine parts of your personality.

Today, I'd like to talk about how attractiveness mucks around people's personalities too.
Being a nearly world famous photographerguy I've had to deal with a model or two. Models for the most part, are generally treated differently to most people from early teenage years.
At this point, I'd love to make all sorts of generalisations like; all people love to generalise, but most of the male and female peeps that have sultried into my camera have been pretty decent. Understand that photographic models are quite different to catwalk models. Catwalk models are tall and thin and have everyone asking them if they are a model. Photographic models are heaps more normal, but tend to be a bit unshy and usually have nice skin, big eyes, etc; features that people won't notice straight away.

I've always thought attractiveness is a lot like being rich. Attractiveness has always been a type of currency. People are drawn to you but you're never really sure if it's because of who you are or what you've got. How can you be happy if you're never sure if people really like you?
What makes attractive and rich people different to most others is that they have to learn coping skills for way more attention. Some become jerks; talking about what they've got and guarding it protectively, some become hilarious; people are listening so you might as well use it to make their lives better, some people become shy and some people sabotage themselves to get out of the limelight.

I took photos of a very modelly looking girl a few weeks ago, tall, blond, etc, who really liked the shots. She recommended me to her friend who I took shots of on Sunday. They were both fun and sharp, but being best friends they had a very clear relationship. The more modelly one was the boss, she called the shots and the other sucked up to her by buying her stuff and doing heaps of favours, it was all a bit wrong, but I figured through various comments that they are both deeply jealous of each other. The more modelly one is clearly guarding her own attractiveness and trying her best to cut down the other, the other is letting herself be cut down to fit in. I saw a photo from a few years ago and she fit the model bill perfectly. Perplexing.

The girl I met from the internet a while ago had said that she had let herself gain heaps of weight because she was blond haired blue eyed with good chestage and quite over the attention. Now, she's ready to go back.

Anyway, in summary, I like sunshine.

14 Comments:

At 3:18 PM, Blogger meghansdiscontent said...

What the fuck, Adam?

:)

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger Adam said...

Where the hell have you come from lady? I missed you bigtime!

 
At 3:32 PM, Blogger Adam said...

P.S) Does this post not make sense? It made super no-sense before I rewrote it.

 
At 5:06 PM, Blogger Doll Face said...

Kinda on the same page...


http://www.virginblue.com.au/products/voyeur/sep06/index.php?section=The%20order%20of%20success

An interesting read nevertheless ;-)

 
At 5:22 PM, Blogger Adam said...

Yeah, I read that article last time I flew, but speaking to my natrapath about it - they've got a lot of the attributes incorrect (ie, mixing up the strengths of first and last borns).... which could make things super interesting and retarded.

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger meva said...

Let's see. Tits: check! Nose: check! Yep, attractive.

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger Jen said...

I love all this talk about birth order and attractiveness, it's all so horribly interesting!!!

I guess I've only really known one "model" and she did like stage modeling and photographic stuff. When she was just normal, so was only ordinarily attractive but when you had fake tan, bleached hair and full make up she looks "model-y".

I think as a photographer you'd have a fairly good sense of attractiveness though, you'd notice lots of qualities about people which most people wouldn't be aware of right away.

I think the eyes make a person though, you get a lot out of looking at someone's eyes.

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger Jen said...

I love all this talk about birth order and attractiveness, it's all so horribly interesting!!!

I guess I've only really known one "model" and she did like stage modeling and photographic stuff. When she was just normal, so was only ordinarily attractive but when you had fake tan, bleached hair and full make up she looks "model-y".

I think as a photographer you'd have a fairly good sense of attractiveness though, you'd notice lots of qualities about people which most people wouldn't be aware of right away.

I think the eyes make a person though, you get a lot out of looking at someone's eyes.

 
At 8:41 PM, Blogger Kris said...

I love sunshine as well.

I found in my life that sometimes the most unattractive person with a good heart becomes more attractive over time.

While some people although very attractive on the outside with ugly hearts, seem to grow more ugly as the day goes by.

But yes I agree...we tend to look first at what someone looks like and judge and then find out if we were wrong or not as time goes on.

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger Mars said...

I used to have a friend who was quite attractive in a conventional beach barbie sort of way. It was good for me, cause it made me look more attractive - and also, she had a boyfriend, so i got all her reject guys.

Yeah, that's the stuff dreams are made of, right there.

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger Steph said...

Sunshine sucks. Give me grey skies and rain.

 
At 8:54 AM, Blogger Jessie B said...

Yeah, there are heaps of psychological studies out there on the attracktiveness bias.

I have worked with a few models in my day too. Fairly small time, of course. Much prefer taking action shots, I've decided.

 
At 12:00 PM, Blogger meghansdiscontent said...

It made little to no sense and was FANTABULOUS none-the-less.

I particularly enjoyed the ending!

I took a blogging hiatus, much like yourself, kid. I can't believe the king of the disappearing act has the gall to ask where I disappeared to!

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger Adam said...

As king I may do whatever I please.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home