Thursday, December 28, 2006

Jury on Juicin'

A while ago, I went to a natrapath to combat this RSI thing and she gave me a whole bagload of life changes.


One of them was to drink beetroot, carrot, celery, apple, pear, ginger and lemon juice at least 4 times a week which I've been doing without fail for months and months.


At home in Melbourne we live near the beach where the soil is crazy sandy and she's wanted to plant some plants to make the back and front yard lovely. Pffft, in my day, rockstars were all about the music. To help her out, I made up a compost/worm farm thing to improve the soil. The worm sellerer mentioned that worms love to have their food mashed and cut up to aid the 'yo, break it down' process.


For my juicey needs I've been going to a little place, I way totally don't deal with franchises taking over the world, and noticed that the mashed fruit and vegetable pulp was going into a bin under the juicers.


Conversationaling with the owner, I mentioned that the waste would all be ideal for worms and enriching soil but the dude mentioned that they haven't found anyone interested so they just chuck it out.


Doing a bit of research (read: not working at work) I found that not only do these places just chuck out all the mashed vegetable bits but Boost Juices and another big franchise use cups that take, like, 500 years to break down.


Crap. Freakin'. Dammit.


We've beaten up McDonalds but forgotten to slap around the places that seem healthy. Damn them and their calming natural colour schemes. If you think about how many cups they sell each day in each city it's a bit hardcore.


'Any messages for the gr-gr-gr-grandkiddies?'

Thinking about it, juicing really is a terribly inefficient way to consume vegetables, they chuck heaps of food into those machines to get some juices flowin'. I've given the natrapath away a while ago when we weren't making any progress, but I'm now curious to why she was so big for juice - surely eating the vegetables nude would be better?


I'm now totally bummed, something I thought was really good for me I'm now rating as : SuperCrap since I need that planet to not be a big ol tip. High maintenance of me, I know...

9 Comments:

At 2:36 PM, Blogger Amanda said...

You should stand up and be the environment guru and suggest that they began selling mugs that one might purchase for a little more than a regular juice, then charge a little less on the next visit for the refill. Or...you can bring your own and at least know that you will not participate in their non environmental ways. : )

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger Adam said...

Yah fer shure, that's a good idea. Even paper cups would be better than foam.

I never wanted to be an environmental guru, I was happy winning the war on trees, but these blogkids have slowly but surely been turning me to the dark green side...

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger fat ho said...

Boost do sell mugs. not sure how much they are, but i assume they are overpriced...


in regards to juice being an ineffective way to consume fruits and vegetables...yes, but it's still the yummiest!!!

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger Enny said...

You could save the money you would spend on paying the extreme prices at Boost and buy your own juicer - then it would go straight to the worms minus the styrofoam.

The internet sez: Juicing will allow you to obtain many of the benefits of eating raw fruits and vegetables without the bulk of ingesting large quantities of food.

 
At 5:06 PM, Blogger Adam said...

...but I'm always hungry.

Please note: I've never, ever, ever been to Boost ever but yes, I think I might juice up once I'm back in ol Melbs and not living apartment stylee.

Boost do sell mugs Ho? Well, that's good, but I think they need to make it a worthwhile option. Heaps of cafes make it totally worthwhile for office workers to bring their own mugs for coffee.

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger Jen said...

I would rather eat glass than drink vegetable juice. You are a hero!!

I tried a juice with celery in it once and the taste still haunts me. I LOVE veggies, but so not in juice form!

Way back when, there used to be a food shop at Southbank who would serve chips and things in these sort of wafer type cups. They were as sturdy as paper/cardboard but they were made from some sort of stuff that you could eat if you wanted or it would just break down super quickly if you wanted to chuck it.

That has to be a better idea than all the other packaging they use?

 
At 6:59 PM, Blogger meva said...

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the only way to drink juice is in a margarita.

I love my fruit and vegies unblended. I love a crunch and munch.

 
At 7:59 PM, Blogger Jadey said...

So true - even Maccas dumped their Styrofoam back in the 80's!

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger Natalie said...

I'd just like to ask:

What are all these juice peeps doing to get fiber? I don't really think a wheatgrass shot is even close to covering the RDI of fiber.

eww.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home