Monday, July 24, 2006

rrrrraaaaaagggghhhhhhh, rock 'n' roll.

Last night on the train there was a young bogany mum, a young bogany dad and their little girl in a pram. The little girl was a bit grumbily. Not crying, just a bit unhappy. This little family had a friend along, a very tall, very rock and roll, very loud dude. Had massive dark sunglasses and massive black earrings shaped like carrots that touched his shoulders. He talked non-stop and was crazy loud, clearly putting on a show for the rest of us who were reading or day-dreaming out the window.

I fell asleep but was woken by the young bogany dad doing backwards somersaults using the rings you hold onto near the train doors. The rocker dude then launched into a whole speech how they should stop scaring the 'normal' people, how he loves being a 'freak' and not a 'conformist'. God, I'm so bored with the 'look at me, I'm so different' crowd, everyone thinks they are different and better than everyone else. This dude in his late twenties was dressed all in black and clearly spent a lot of time on his appearance and was so not a conformist that he co-incidentally looks the same as every 15-18 year old in Brisbane.

It's this type of attidude that makes me realise that there is always going to be fighting in the world. Everyone wants to fit in with someone, and by fitting in has to exclude everyone else. Exclusion leads to malice, angry to fighting. This dude, everything he did on the train was purely for attention, but he seems like he could have been cool if he wasn't so needy.

It hit a nerve because of my own opinions of myself. I am the everyman. The group that I do fit into is the group that no one wants to fit into, the people who feel they've sold out and work in an office for the dollar, but instead have found an avenue to get the things they want. I've never realised that I enjoy the office environment, the interaction, I like that the image of myself I give to the world can change whenever I want, that I can't be bothered with allowing myself to be labelled and pigeon holed so easily or obviously. I'm so bored with people trying so hard to be someone that they forget to be interesting.

5 Comments:

At 4:31 PM, Blogger Mars said...

One word. Emo.

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Adam said...

I know, I know....


I reckon Brisbane has the highest population of emos in Australia. Every single freakin' 15-20 year old.

 
At 6:16 PM, Blogger Mars said...

Never been to Brisbane.. but did grow up in Perth, so i am thinking that is a fair comparison...

I can distinctly remember in year 9 you had two choices of what you wanted to "be". You were either a "surfie" or a "rapper" (think: Kris Kross pants etc). Not truly convinced i was able to "be" either of these, i resigned myself to always being straight and dorky.

It's worked pretty well for me so far, i s'pose...

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger Jen said...

I agree Adam, I used to start work in the early afternoon and all the Emos congregate into the mall and stand around being different and angsty.

How come they don't realise that all the stripey clothes make it look like a 'Where's Wally' picture in reverse, and I look more non-conformist walking through the mall in office clothes on the way to work?

 
At 6:50 AM, Blogger Callisto said...

It's not just me then. I saw Sonic Youth this week, I waded through a Sea of Sameness to find my seat, sad because they were all trying so hard to be individuals.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home