Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Stalked by a very very old man.

The gym is a place to get fit and improve our bodies, but it is also a place of mental peace. It's time to concentrate within yourself and let your mind wander, or you can completely clear your mind of all your troubles and focus on breathing, counting and movement of muscle. Or you can spend your time avoiding the old man harrassing you. I didn't go at all last week, for tax reasons, but I did rock on last night just before I taught a dancing class.

The old man was the first person I saw and I knew I was in trouble when he told me off because he hadn't seen me. I chose exercises based purely on his proximity and in the minute spare between sets he would find me out and ask me questions about my training and tell me off about something. The gym being as quiet as a library meant that everyone is now pretty on top of my training so far. Wierd.Anyway, the old dude is seriously restricting the funness. He asked when I'd next rock in so he could watch my training and looked thoughtful when I told him my plan. I think he was rescheduling his own training to accomodate. Nice.

So, my tax reasons? Last year I paid a real hefty tax bill, like 8 grand or something. There was nothing to suggest it wouldn't happen this year so I went about starting a photography business to make some cash on the side. My Dad has been feeding me tidbits of tax law over the year and I've been buying up on cool toys to make it all work. I was a bit worried that I would have to be able to prove income in this little business venture but through some music website I found a tax accountant who knows all the rules and told me businesses have a couple of years grace to set up. Cool. So, I met with her and everything is looking way positive. She's nuts! Totally crazy and very enthusiastic and the information she's shared so far has been totally helpful. Accidentally I brought my old tax returns along and she looked at them to determine how much I paid the last accountant and noticed that they were done completely wrong, twice, and she could organise some cash back by redoing them. Very cool. I'm a little cautious because she promises the world so we'll see - not counting nothing yet, but excited nonetheless.
Whoa! How much fun was my weekend? Rhetorical question, don't stress. A few firsts for me, never spent a whole day travelling to and from a partner's grandparents 80th and I've never been to a hens night. That's right, skanked it up with the ladies.

Days since, I've had to explain a couple of times what the heck I was doing at one, suffering from eastrogen deficiency and all. It was Jen's hens night and Cara was invited but Jen felt that since I'm really her only actual Aussie friend (all the chicks there were girlfriends of lads on the bucks night) she had to have me there. People have said since, and they are a bit right, that I would have been fine hanging out with a stack of young ladies (not because I'm a big girl, because of the hilarity I induce). I have to say that I was quite suprised about how much girls actually talk about hair and dresses. I thought that folklore and girls actually talked about saving the world and stuff. My mates are always talking about cars and chicks and wakeboarding and games and stuff, but I always had a bit more respect for the conversational powers of women. It was pretty fun though but totally shortlived because I had a farewell party for Chris to get to. I got a bit tanked at this one as happens when hanging out with the lads. I got a round of Contreau shots for old time sakes and was not real popular with the boys - we all have a love/hate relationship with the stuff. The boys bagged me quite a bit for bailing on them earlyish but had to be done, roadtrip the next day to the party of the century.

Tell you what, I'm a bit sore from my dancingness and gymingness last night. I'm glad the funkifying of Adam is secretish or I'm sure I'd be complaining all over the joint.
Should I be less sarcastic? Roadtrip for 4 hours to the Hamilton Croquette Club for Cara's grandmas 80th wasn't actually the party of the century, sorry to lead you astray like that. In fact, I spent the entire trip up with a bucket in my lap (loooooove that contreau)(crap, be less sarcastic) and not at all being good roadtrip company, which is the only reason I went.

I fully kicked that special spewing feeling minutes before getting into Hamiliton which was awesome because if there is anything that old country people admire, is a boy that can eat. In fact, a stack of dishes straight from the 1950s were the buffet. I haven't seen or heard of cornbeef or meatloaf for decades. Cara's family are crazy and it is real bonding for her immediate family to get through the bizarreness together. It's touching to watch.
I haven't been so good at blogging in recent times because I'm finding reading other blogs way more entertaining and much easier than writing my own.