Thursday, October 25, 2007

I've never really cared before...

Sunday started of superdodge, with The Corporate Entity Named Adam getting up early to go to work but it fairly quickly became awesomerad when some system was down and I was forced to get the heck out and join all my homies at Mich's beachhouse. The night before a few of us met Mich at some bar after all her friends had been at the Caulfield Cup. It had been ages since we'd gone out to a night of dodge and everyone was so dressed up and so completely trashed, it was seedier than anyone could have hoped for.

Anywho, we all made friends on saturday night and then hung out together again on Sunday. It was fun. I haven't made new friends for ages.

After the sun went down and the chips got eated all up, a few of the peeps scattered homeside and just the stayers remained. Since there were 3 girls and 2 boys, the TV got switched to the on position and we flicked between Australian Idol and that Election Debate something.
As with pretty much everyone we know, we're all heading down the vote Not John Howard path of politics, except for Mich who said that she didn't know she was going to vote for. Fair enough, but as I was hilariously bagging out our Prime Ministers gitters, his constant licking of his teeth and his Economy First Environment Somewhere After speeches, Mich was hacking into Rudd. Comments that I thought were overly agressive given that we don't know that much about him, about how much he bores and irritates her.

Some days later, I'm still taken aback.I've become personally concerned that one of my closest friends might vote Liberal and for the first time in my life I understand why Religion and Politics don't make polite dinner conversation. I totally admit that the Adam/Cara combo were probably far more forceful in our dislike than Mich was, and therefore probably annoying to anyone who might barrack for The Brow but I just can't make the jump to why anyone in our stage of life/intelligence/world views would think differently to me. I'm probably more thrown with how much her comments effected me and I've been coming up with plans to not to just deal with it, but to change her mind.

Mich is highly suggestable and can be OTT agressive about pretty much anything, so I'm merely thinking of offering to buy her dinner to vote Not JH. Obvs, this is so freakin' illegal that if I don't write blogside for a while it's because I'll finally be able to add Political Prisoner to my resume, but if she likes food and I like Not JH then we're all happy, right?

Of course, I shouldn't even care. Each person should be free to vote for whomever candidate they think will do the best job. I guess I'm just freaked that one of my closest friends must think fairly fundamentally differently to myself and I never picked it up until now. Or maybe she's just mimicking comments her parents or someone attractive made...

7 Comments:

At 4:21 PM, Blogger kiki said...

this looks good, but could you please translate it out of street language for me?
i couldn't gather a word

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger Enny said...

Perhaps her parents are attractive - making their advice doubly good!

I'm partial to Labor because of my parents, plus I'm not liking a lot of Howards stuff. I'm wondering if there was a site that summarises everything for you? Like I heard that the greens were proposing that they scrap the taxcuts and using for hospitals etc which is totally what I'm in for, if I could just find some way to verify it.

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger kiki said...

www.shootersparty.org.au

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger kiki said...

nuff said

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger Enny said...

:,(

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger Mars said...

my parents vote Libeal (big L), and i have a couple of friends who do aswell. i, like you adz, can't understand why they do this at all... especially people of our generation who aren't especially caring about their investment property and superanuation fund.

i just don't get it either. last election i really truly thought the ALP were going to win. i was so thoroughly conviced that they had so much more to offer than the pelican in charge at the moment, that i just couldn't fathom that everyone else wasn't so convinced as me.

i was really genuinely gutted the day we lost that last election. and i'm kinda scared it's gonna happen again this year.

i let myself get vulnerable once - don't think i'll ever be as non-cynical again!

 
At 12:46 PM, Blogger kiki said...

vote shooters party for the best environment and sustainability policies

 

Post a Comment

<< Home