Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Music types? What are they good for?

Ahhhh, Cup of the Melbourne.
This is the first time I haven't gone to someone's house and drank and laughed and participated in sweeps and spent like 3 dollars on betting. I always pick horses randomly and usually manage a third placer or something. As a kid, if I picked a winner or placer on the Melbourne Cup, we were always allowed to have pizza for dinner and I've barely missed since.

Cara, alternatively, has a method. She always try to pick horses based on musical references and never seems to get very far.

Until this year:

Melbourne Cup 2006:
1. Delta Blues
2. Pop Rock
3. Maybe Better

Bizarrely, the one not music reference to place she accidentally had in the sweep. Goodbye $20 Cara betting money, hello $130 won (I don't think that even includes the sweep winnings.)

In terms of timing: Awesome!
She found out yesterday that she's going to Hawaii tomorrow night for a 4 day all accomodation, all flights paid for holiday and since I haven't been paid in a while (corporate slackers) I didn't have much spareage to give her for spending moola.

8 Comments:

At 4:19 PM, Blogger BEVIS said...

Well done. Gambling is the devil's tool, but as long as she's going to Hawaii, she might as well make the most of it. Is this a band-related trip, then?

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger Adam said...

Yeah, I don't think the Melbourne Cup classifies as gambling though, it's more like paying a couple of dollars to yell louder at a horse.

No, our friend works for Flight Centre who are always giving away prizes and gifts and educationals to their employees. Our friend won two tickets - whooo!

 
At 5:51 PM, Blogger BEVIS said...

As prizes go, two days' notice of a four-day overseas trip can certainly have its problems (or did she know it was a possiblility?).

I hope she doesn't meet some hunky Hawaiian surfer dude and leave you for him, buddy. (Not wanting to set off your paranoi-dar or anything, but I speak from experience. This was WAY before the always-delightful and ne'er-cheating Wifey, naturally.)

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger Deb said...

Hawaii?! Man, that would be freakin' awesome! So why aren't you going???? Surely you can scam a 4 day sick day and a fake dr's certificate??

how's that udder today?

 
At 6:22 PM, Blogger Adam said...

She knew it was a possibility since Friday, but she didn't get excited until The Call.

No worries the Bevis, that doesn't switch any of the paranoi-dars. That's quite not Cara and secondly while I'd be a bit upset, if anyone leaves a way groovy Australian dude of funness for a hunky hawaiian surfer dude then good luck to them. Horses for courses and all that. While I don't want to simplify your situation or know anything about it, it clearly worked out awesome for you. Wifey and Sweetums are way awes!

Deb, Mich got two free tickets and she and Cara holiday well together. Both of them love sitting around sunning and shopping and eating while I'm heaps more active. It'd be hard logisically as the flights and my passport are in Melbs, also, ironically, the rest of my team at work is actually in Hawaii this very minute so I'd have to leave before they got back. People hate when that happens.

 
At 2:54 AM, Blogger Shelley said...

Perhaps the Bank of Adam should team up with Visa? I know they make an absolute killing from me.

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger Mars said...

Jealous. Dead Jealous.

I wanna go to Hawaii.

All i got for free this Melbourne Cup day (the second drunkest day of the year) was smiggin' gastro.

Life is cruel.

 
At 3:36 AM, Blogger BEVIS said...

Whoa - far out, Mars! Sounds like you backed the wrong horse!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home