Friday, September 08, 2006

Who calls during the Simpsons anyway?

Last night I checked my phone to see that it had two missing calls. This is fairly common, I never really look after the thing, but I was surprised because I was sure that I used for the time just before.

"Hey, it's Mich call me back."

I really wasn't expecting a call from Mich, I hung out with her all last weekend in Brisbane and I should be seeing her Saturday night this weekend in Melbs.

"Hey's it's Mich again, something has happened in the last 48 hours and I need to talk to you. I'm going to my 10 years reunion and then the movies, but call me back when you get this or send a message when I can call you."

Lordy, how can not a feeling of dread totally overcome a person after a message like this. So I rang her back feeling a bit uh-oh, just as I served myself some din dins. Her phone rang heaps of times and just as I totally resigned myself to feeling weird for a bit when she answered.

"Something's happened to Sammy, she was acting all weird like she was on acid or something but they are sure she hasn't taken anything. She's saying crazy things and feels like she's lost things and she was convinced her birthday was yesterday and that's she's lost things and so her parents are flying her home and she'll be in Melbourne tomorrow."

Whoa! Sammy is an awesome chick who people just love instantly. She's been in Canada and London the past two years and I've missed her more than I can say. Mich was a bit freaked and I promised I'd go with her to visit on the weekend. It obviously sounds like a mental health issue, bi polar or something and I'm pretty committed to helping as much as I can.

Later, as I was sitting down to my nearly cold dinner, the phone rang again. It was a number that I didn't recognise.

"Hi Adam, how are you?"

It was a girl and I didn't recognise the voice. It was all small and weird. Only Cara and Mich assume I recognise their voice.

"Hey, good thanks, whose this?"

I was struggling to hear over the sound of Marge yelling at the crowd to stop throwing their free pretzels at Mr Burns.

..and then the line went dead.

Um. Weird.
So I sat down and started eating, and the phone rang again.
This time I answered and went into the bedroom so I could hear.

"Hi Adam"
"Hi"
"What's that noise in the background?"

I listened and couldn't hear anything. A massive feeling of cold shivered through my entire body, I've haven't felt anything like that for yonks.

It's her, and she's scared and confused.

"Ummm..?"

I was a bit freaked, I wasn't expecting this. All my gusto and 'we'll combat this together' went completely out the window. Got way nervouser.

"It's me Sash, can you hear me?"

Whoa! It was just Cara's sister, we're organising a trip to Malaysia and she was at work. The mobile range seems to be whack in my apartment, I've had a lot of calls drop out randomly and the noise she was talking about was from the first call when Marge was blaring. So, it was all cool 'n' that.

Um, phew.
I was a bit disappointed with my freakedness, and I don't know if it'll be harder or easier when we see her in person.

I had been telling Mich that mental health problems are far more prevalent, but also more manageable than ever and she'll be right mate. It's cool to be scared because none of us have ever had to deal with this before and it is way scary that someone you love doesn't recognise you or is confused or whatever, the worst thing is when someone is not themselves.

I've always yelled at the dude in movies, who is all mushy over his wife turned vampire or zombie or whatever. I'm always like 'what are you doing? get over it, blow her up and make smoochy with that surviving chick in the white singlet whose waiting for you in the bus/rocket' but, um, yeah. Not that I'm comparing b grade movies with real life mental health, but I think I'm understanding the dude better now.

4 Comments:

At 12:36 PM, Blogger that girl said...

have you seen "Shaun of the dead.."

My mom works with people that have Alzheimers and it is scary but this girl sounds like a really good friend and you'd be surprised how the strength comes when you need it...

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger Adam said...

Man I loved that movie. I had a friend from England who bullied us into watching all the episodes of the Office and then bullied us into seeing Shaun of the Dead.


Thank lordy for bullying!

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger Steph said...

I have a former friend who's in rehab and she got up to some crazy shit before she was sent there.
It's so hard to sit on the sidelines and watch someone who's struggling.
I hope you can help her.

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger Adam said...

that girl, we rented Shaun of the Dead on the weekend because of you!!!!

Thanks Steph and you Lulu, I've gotten more comfortable with the idea and now that she's home with her family and friends I think it's all going to be cool. I didn't see her on the weekend at all, she was holding a dinner on Sunday night but I was flying back to Brisbane at the same time, but I'm flying to Melbourne on Tuesday night to welcome another friend home and should see her then. It's going to be a rollercoaster of emotions.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home