Thursday, December 15, 2005

Farewell Spanish Class, I will try to always remember you (especially when I'm in Central America trying to, you know, communicate).


Thus ends an era of my life, the 8 Weeks of Spanish Lessons era. I probably had the worst pronounciation in the whole class and potentially the worst memory for words, but I put my heart and soul into that thing. I totally studied at least once. Totally.

Things I'll always remember:
1.) 'Lo sienta mucho'. I'm very sorry for your loss. If there is a funeral, the grieving family must feed the entire village and any visitors. Apparently the same applies for Weddings, but the food is often better at the funerals.


2.) 'Calle'. Pronounced Caj-eh. Means 'Street'. I will always remember this because my tutor threatened to kill me when I asked what it meant.

3.) You will insult everyone in a Spanish resturant by yelling out 'Tia Buena' in the same manner that the people from work taught you. Apparently it is an impolite slang call cat used mainly by construction workers.

4.) The answers to the homework are in the back of the book.

5.) 'Hola', 'Adios'. I forget the rest.

4 Comments:

At 12:04 PM, Blogger birdie said...

and the BIGGEST INSULT EVER??

me cago in la boca de su madre

I SHIT IN THE MOUTH OF YOUR MOTHER.

oh, and if you're just being plain offensive, it's

me cago in la boca de su virgen

I SHIT IN THE MOUTH OF THE VIRGIN.

yes, THAT virgin. and no, they don't take kindly to that. very religious folk, the spaniards.

and "coneja" means pussy. that's always a fun favorite. techinally it means female rabbit, but i'm sure you get the idea.

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger meghansdiscontent said...

Where were you earlier??
I needed SOMEONE to translate something for me.
Damnit, Birdie, I forgot you're like queen of Spanish.
But I remembered Adam was learning . . why didn't I email SOMEBODY who knew some??

 
At 5:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

for the record, it's "lo siento mucho" if you get your tenses wrong, everyone will know you're a gringo and they will try to screw you over at every turn.

also, to add my two cents to the insult list:

"culo" (pronounced how it is spelled) means "asshole," but in the literal anatomy sense. it's terribly insulting and a great way to start a fight, or get shot, depending on where you are.

"puta" (poo-tah) means the same thing as "coneja" (in birdie's comment), but it's a slang term and slightly more offensive than coneja in certain parts of the region.

"eres el hijo de la chingada, pues" is a great one if you are a chick and guys are making lewd advances on your boobs. as this does not apply to you, you can just tuck it away for future reference. it literally translates to "son of a motherfucker" but it's the same as calling someone a son of a bitch in english. hispanics, as religious as they are, tend to dislike the idea of having bastard children and that will shut them up quickly. or they might try to fight with you. or shoot you.

"chingate" is the good stand-by, meaning fuck you. i don't recommend using it when bartering.

 
At 8:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home