Monday, November 07, 2005

Saturday morning, the world is sleeping, a skill I've never truly acquired. Gotta get moving, movement with no direction, aim or destination. Movement purely for movements sake. I find myself in areas I have not been for a very, very, very long time. Roads I spent every day on for years I now struggle to remember where they lead. I found the house I lived in for 2 years, the one that had burnt down a couple of months after I moved out. It's still sitting there, only scorch marks and half a roof in a leafy, quiet suburb. The house I moved into after deciding two days prior that I couldn't possibly live with my mum anymore. The next door neighbour that was so incredibly welcoming and friendly. Went past the house of the girl who hung out with my friends years after we broke up. The carpark where I learnt to drive. The hilly roads that we skateboarded down pulled along by bicycles until we hit reckless speeds and overtook the bikes. The shopping centre where I bought birthday, christmas presents, where we hung out, went through that shoplifting phase, stealing stuff we didn't need and certainly didn't want but was the biggest thrill we knew. The house of my best friend whose little 8 year old brother collapsed and died after we had moved away and weren't there for them. My dad's old office that my sister and I spent thousands if not hundreds of hours hanging out in. The family house where we had to tell people after my Dad for money that he wasn't home, had to vet every phone call. The driveway where the car was repossessed but I didn't understand how or why. The house I used to hang out on the roof, the house where the worlds fastest skateboard was stolen and I spent the next few years in rollerblades. The venue of our year 10 something something afterparty where the dudes who knew how to pick up chicks and the dudes who didn't were so obviously divided. Emotional freakin' rollercoaster! So many things I'd forgotten, sometimes I think all we have is our memories. Too freakin' fragile!

8 Comments:

At 12:54 PM, Blogger Adam said...

Thanks dude, I think I do want to make money right now. I can't contain my excitement!

 
At 5:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it is so unfair that you remove all these great money-making ideas before the rest of us have a chance to read them! I would like a stranger on the internet to pay me money for clicking on his spam links. That's almost as good as getting paid for sex!*

Great post, by the way! Reminiscing seems to be an interesting experience, most of the time.

*Kidding. That has never happened.

 
At 12:05 AM, Blogger Steph said...

It's a freaky thing to go back to the place of our childhood. Memories on every corner. We all should do it more it often.

 
At 5:48 AM, Blogger meghansdiscontent said...

Why do I find this post almost depressing?? I know it wasn't meant to be . . but I find myself being sad after reading it.

Confused in AR.

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger Adam said...

Dear Confused in AR,

I imagine that, like myself, you probably haven't recovered from the disappearance of the worlds fastest skateboard.
I think it is a sadder post just because the house still being all burnt and in ruins got me down a bit and memories seem to be way linked to your mood.

 
At 2:13 PM, Blogger meghansdiscontent said...

In the words of the parents of my clients . . True dat, true dat, keep on keepin on.

Whatever the hell that means. :)

 
At 7:48 AM, Blogger Adam said...

Very,very,very,very,very,very,very,very,very soon/next week.

 
At 7:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. » » »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home