Thursday, December 22, 2005

So a while back, let's call it "Monday", I went to the funeral of that uncle I was talking about earlier. It was really good, way more people than I expected rocked up and the eulogy was nice. They basically omitted the last 40 years he spent in a drunken haze and focused on the good bits. I totally thought it was a job well done.

I got totally caned by all family members for only ever seeing them at funerals, but that's another story.

As part of the funeral, the family put 3 objects on his coffin, as a symbol of his life.

1. A pair of pliers to represent his career as an Electrical Engineer. (P.S - I never knew this bit)

2. A billard triangle ball setting up thing to represent his love of billards and pool (and only reference the whole day that he may have spent decades in a bar).

3. His Melbourne Football Club scarf.

I did like his funeral thing, it made me very much think about my own life and how I would what it all summed up. Who would rock up? Who should I be better friends to in this life that is oh so short?

So, it got me thinking about 3 objects that would sum up my passions or 3 symbols of my life. What would I want there versus what would the people involved put there?
I reckon, left upto family we'd find a camera, a laptop and a pair of dancing shoes mainly because these are the things all close and distant family members ask me about every time. 'Are you still taking nice photos, how's work, are you still dancing?'
We'd struggle with Cara because she said she wanted three different albums of Radiohead, but I reckon she'd end up with a piano, a rhodes keyboard and a microphone balanced precariously up there.

So, what 3 items would I want?I really would like the camera, because I really am stupidly into taking nice photos and I think about it a lot.

Apart from that, I'm not sure.
A laptop certainly defines my life to a degree, but I'm not sure if that's a lasting image I want to leave.

I love people, but it seems a bit rough to make some peeps stand on up there in front of everyone.

I've always loved movement of body and hence always been excited about martial arts and dancing and other such movement intensive activities but hows does that translate into an object.

A motorbike helmet? I'm not obsessed about bikes at all, I know very little about them, it's just a form of transport for me that everyone else is excited about for me.

No clues.

It's not really important, I don't intend to go out in a blaze of glory for at least another 253 years, but, dear reader, are there any three objects that sum you up? Could my questions be any harder?

14 Comments:

At 3:24 PM, Blogger meghansdiscontent said...

A book - any book of significance. I always have a book with me. Always.

A journal. Blank, with a pen clipped onto the spine. Because I'm constantly writing.

A CD. Any CD. Because I always have music. It's always on. It's my comfort food and my stabilizer.

I just realized how sad all those things sound.

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger Mermaid Girl said...

Hmmm...very good post A...very thought provoking :)

I think mine would be my camera...my favourite photo of home and my teddy bear Frank, because throughout everything in my life he has aways been my constant.

I guess though what you know is important and of significance to you is often not what others would identify....but that is why we keep some things inside ourselves, so we still have an us.

God is that totally fruity??? Probably...I have been on the Omni tonight...lol.

 
At 6:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, this was an amazing post! It's hard to say what I would pick, honestly, but I think probably my camera, something from swimming (goggles, suit, etc.) and a picture of my family.

Oh, and since Kim brought it up, throw in some sheepskin slippers, as well. What is a sheepskin slipper, anyway?

 
At 11:33 PM, Blogger Shelley said...

Stocks and bonds as a reminder of the money I never had and aren't leaving - naturally!

I have a type-witten mantra on my wall that has collected dust in every place I've lived since I was sixteen - that should go in since it's followed me everywhere.

The ring I always wear. Probably they couldn't prise it of my dead fingers anyway.

The ashes of my cat - assuming she dies first. Otherwise, let her be - I'm sure she's always wanted to see how I really taste....ewww..

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger birdie said...

happy christmas sugarpea

 
At 11:14 PM, Blogger Steph said...

ALL my shoes....hrmm may need a seperate coffin...or two ;)

My Ipod, will definantly need my tunes.

My photo albums so i can take memories of all my friends and family.

Oh and one more thing. Bottle of vanilla Absolute Vodka w00t!

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger Ang said...

you need word verification!!

I don't think I will be bringing anything with me. My family and friends will have scavanged through it all!!!

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger meghansdiscontent said...

Missing Adam.

 
At 1:32 AM, Blogger Shelley said...

Also missing Adam.

 
At 2:07 AM, Blogger BEVIS said...

You're dead again, aren't you dude ...

 
At 5:22 PM, Blogger Adam said...

Dead? Me?

Oh crap, not again! As much as I enjoy schmoozing at my own wake, the paperwork is far too hardcore.

Ahhh, Muffin, you entertain me so.

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger Adam said...

Whoa! Hit by the same bloggobot in the same message. Surely that has to be some kind of record.

 
At 8:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot!
Marmot mens cargo pant canon video dvd camera fisherman jellies for kids Interior designers in michigan Kids paintballing a house accutane picture

 
At 12:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. 1993 lexus es300 sedan article oral maxillofacial surgery Business credit card applicaions Free fax software for mac os9 Parts for 1983 mazda rx 7 Nokia spy phone hairy mature women galleries withdrawals from effexor buy butalbital online Cream and eczema acuvue toric http://www.home-security-phoenix.info/1995-bmw-318-i-alarm-system.html conferencing with video input http://www.conferencing-web.info/uk-to-india-cheap-calls.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home