Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Adventures at the servo

Last night I rocked on down to the service station (like, totally a gas station, for you crazy American talking kids) to buy a little thing of milk. "2 dollars" the young man behind the counter said.

- The dodge
The milk was actually 1 dollar, I've bought milk before. When I flicked the coin at him, he just smiled until I went away.

- The old days
Back in the day when I hung around with my mates, one of my friends had a brother who worked in a service station. After a big night, we'd call him and he'd heat up some meat pies. When we'd get there, we'd all feast on milk and meat pies for free. It had to be meat pies and milk because the dude could claim that they had spoiled. Everynight these things spoil so it was very easily overlooked.
Of course, this dude also would drive his car slowly through the automatic doors of the servo (ahem, gas station) to see how far he could get inside. The midnight to dawn shift is a long and boring one.

- Impressively dodge
So, I've never know someone to so brazenly try to scam me before and I left thinking that he tried to make a dollar for himself.... but the smart thing is, because it was milk and he couldn't scan it (because that would show the price, but not scanning it means the stock is out) he was going to right off the whole product and take the cash for himself. I'm totally impressed with the amount of dodginess that attendant produced in that mini-micro second...... and the stupidness of it all.

5 Comments:

At 2:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I kind of like servo better than gas station. Other countries seem to always have much cooler words for things than Americans do! You have cooler money, too!

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger Adam said...

Dude, the case for you moving to Australia gets stronger every day. We'll give you a cute koala if you make the move?

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger Adam said...

Whoa, why did I end that last sentence with a question mark?

I'm so dead-set ready to ban myself from this website!

 
At 1:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet! A koala! I'm so there! You totally can't ban yourself from this website because their would be no one left to write these interesting stories.

 
At 12:11 AM, Blogger Mermaid Girl said...

Just found your blog...I'm also in Australia and you're the first Aussie blog I've stumbled across. It's nice to read about familiar places expressed in terminology I can understand!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home