Monday, May 22, 2006

Hands and wrists and elbows and toes. Maybe not toes.

There was this one time, at my house when my parents split up.It didn't actually feel like a big deal at the time, it was obviously brewing for a long long time and when it did happen my sister and I did breatheth a synchronised sigh of relief.

For my sister it was great, she got spoiled waaaaaaay, and loved it. I was happy enough that my Mum wasn't constantly on the rampage.

When my birthday came round, my dad took me out to dinner, we had never had dinner just the two of us, and gave me a present. It was a new computer game. It wasn't like the other computer games we had, it was on it's own CD and not just copied from friends. It was very cool, except for one thing. Our computer didn't have a CD drive, it didn't even have the required Windows 95.

But the computer at my dad's place did.

So, I could only play it at his house and thusly organised sessions.Mum wasn't happy.Dad actually didn't turn out to be that happy either.He should have known that my enthusiasm can at times border on obsession and so could hardly speak to him while I was there. His computer that he worked on was suddenly unusable for 5, 6, 9 hours at a time, once it was 11 hours.

Eventually my Mum upgraded our home computer and Dad was able to use his again for his business and you know, deriving an income.

That 11 hour computer game session I had hurt my hands.
RSI.
They've never healed and 12 years on have gotten worse.
They hurt right now.
They hurt when I'm not even at a computer.

A couple of years ago I saw a doctor about it and he said I needed to find a new career.
That's not easy, I've done really well and can't imagine the drop in cashola if I started something else.

Anything I'd want to do would probably require some years of study.I don't want to study again. I did that already.I'm not the only one that depends on my income.

That said, I've still got 35 years until I retire.
It's a tricky one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home