Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Monday morning anniversary

I am so totally lathergic today, not sleepy, just kind of lolling around the place aimlessly. I'm at work so I'm really only tackling the easy things today. Last week was totally hectic and I had far too much going on - I had an important deadline on Friday afternoon and everything was focused towards that. Once I over that hurdle I just crashed and did nothing for the weekend. Cara was recording and mastering and other fun music stuff so she wasn't around for the entire weekend. I spent a quite a bit of time being a hermit and was really happy with that - it just means that I'm lacking energy now. It's always the way.
Today is the 2 year anniversary of the pashing and getting together of young Cara and myself. Cara said some time ago that I didn't need to get her anything and that she wanted to get us a present. I was really happy with that because I get over the whole contrived present occasion thing. I'm over birthdays and christmas and everything else. I used to be totally into them and very, very generous and I think I burnt myself out. I remember years and years of getting awesome presents for my family and them giving me and each other cheap, thoughtless, nothing special gifts. I don't want to sound mean but I think I do think because of the massive energy I've put into stuff for other people - I get over it all. Anyway, I was excited that Cara had it under control. I booked a resturant and was thinking about getting a massive retro huge car to drive to it - Cara seems to love big whale-sized cars. The cars have turned out to really be only suited to weddings, I couldn't find anything funky enough. It turns out Cara is rehersing tonight, I was a little bit miffed because I kind of like to think that I would come before anything else but I think I've known for a while that that isn't really true. So, re-booked all good. This morning Cara gave me the present, she couldn't get the thing she was intending for the both of us so she just got something for me. A whole set of paints and canvases and sketch books and stuff. I've been thinking about doing some painting for a while because I've been inspired by a couple of things - but I have no skills at all. At first I was a little intimidated by it but now I'm all excited and keen. I'm going to be very dodge to start off with but I'm sure I can keep it together long enough to produce something good before I get distracted by something else in life. I do love it - I'm excited.
I felt a bit dodge though, because I hadn't put any effort into getting her a present, or a card or anything. When I seemed a bit concerned she told me not to get her anything because I'm always looking after her and stuff. I decided to completely ignore her and got her a card and tickets to the PJ Harvey concert. Bailed her up at lunchtime and she was way touched and excited. Phew! Too close.