Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Thanks Internetz.

Thank yous via e-mail? What say you, are they necessary?

Being a Knight of ITness, I've always been about the paperless office and the non-surpurflous e-mails. I link to a document rather than send it, I don't CC anyone unless they absolutely must be included and I'm happy to just chat to someone instead of sending a potentially misunderstood message. IT peeps tend to me on the lazy side and don't read all the words, which leads to confusion, yadda yadda yah.

If someone does something for me, I'll say thank you next time I see them, or I say thank you at the top of any further e-mails I might need to send, but I don't just send a thanking e-mail. Am I a rude sob? I never really thought of it until recently where maybe a 3rd of my e-mails are just the two words.

In the days where you had to open each message, I found that annoying, but since most e-mail programs have that view pane thing, I dunno...

I don't want to be impolite and it's not hard, it just seems like a bit of a waste of their time to read the e-mail. I just totally don't know.

1 Comments:

At 6:34 PM, Blogger Enny said...

I always made a point of replying with a "thanks, (name)" email, but my new boss told me that my gratitude was a given and not to bother.

I think it's because most of my job involves people nagging me for something that I then provide really quickly, and I don't often get a thankyou.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home