Friday, March 04, 2005

The craziness caught my t-shirt and won't let go.

I may have become crazy.

I may have become wierd.

I may have been too easily annoyed.

I may have way too much time on my hands.


I had been in Sydney for approximately 20 minutes when I was approached by a young man who needed some help. He had to catch his coach bus to Townsville and needed about 90 cents. I pulled out my change and he actually needed the whole $3.50. Um, sure, if that's what you need.The next day walking around in my business suit, he asked me again.He is not homeless, totally clean, well groomed, wears glasses, backpack and pretty normal looking. In my month here he has asked me about 6 times. I told him off once and he said it wasn't him those other times, when I challenged that he brushed it off and asked for coinage.

So, last night, I followed him around.He saw me everywhere and I watched him make a stack of cash. He does a massive big loop of the busiest blocks so that he hits various bus stops with a half hour spacing. At one point he stopped at a Foriegn Exchange/Money Transfer place for ages and ages, filling out forms and emptying his pockets.


I guess I'm annoyed because each week hundreds of people are trying to help a guy who just wants to catch his coach. In the time that I followed him he must of asked at least 25 people and because he has a story and shows them some bus ticket stub most people give him something. He seems to have no memory of people he's asked, I saw him accidentally approach some people twice in a few minutes.

It's completely none of my business, but I feel like I should do something about it. How is someone deterred from being so successfully exploitive?